Wham-O® toys form deep emotional connections with people over time. They're among the best-known outdoor brands, at a time when the backyard is the new vacation spot! You couldn’t be a kid and grow up without playing with Wham-O toys.
Wham-O is a lifestyle brand that has been synonymous with fun, play and active sports ever since Arthur “Spud” Mellin and Richard Knerr founded the company almost 75 years ago! Wham-O manufactures and markets some of the most highly recognizable consumer brands in the world today, including classics like Frisbee® discs, Slip ’N Slide® water slides, Hula Hoop® toy hoops, Hacky Sack®, Super Ball®, Trac-Ball®, and Boogie® Body Boards. Wham-O sports appeal to all ages! They're steeped in the cultural tradition of classic, well-made toys.
The Frisbee® and Hula Hoop® were inducted into the National Toy Industry Hall of Fame (1998, 1999). The Super Bowl name came from the Super Ball and is also on exhibit in the Strong Museum! Wham-O toys are sold in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Japan, Korea, and Australia. Watch a classic Wham-O Hula Hoop TV commercial.
* The Hula Hoop is one of the very few toys that have sold more than 200 million pieces.
* The modern Hula Hoop was inspired by bamboo exercise rings that children in Australia were playing with. In 1957, 400,000 Hula Hoops were sold in Australia by Toltoys.
* 1957 - 25 million Hula Hoops were sold in less than four months after Wham-O's launch.
* 1958 - Hula Hoop was trademarked by Wham-O.
* 1960 - More than 100 million units sold by Wham-O, in the 2 years after they were introduced, which was $45 million in revenue at the time.
* 1965 - Shoop-Shoop, a Hula Hoop with beads trapped inside to make noise was introduced.
* 1999 - The Hula Hoop was inducted into the Strong Museum National Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
* By 2018: Wham-O has more than 20 different Hula Hoops, including classic LEDs, Glow in the Dark, DIY, and hoops with whistles and sounds.
* Wham-O Hula Hoop tricks included: Kill the Buzzard (around the neck), the Natural (around the waist), the Knee Knocker, the Stork, Play War, Skip with the Hula Hoop, Run through it, Giant Horseshoes, Upsy Daisy, Roll and Catch, and Push-o-Hoop.
2023 - Hula Hoop 65th birthday from trademark filing (marketed in 1958)
© 2021 Anjar Co. LLC & Becker Associates LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Frisbee®, Hula Hoop®, Super Ball®, Slip N’ Slide®, Hacky Sack®, Boogie Board®, and Trac-Ball® and logos are registered Trademarks of Wham-O®.
No items found.